Advisor Kasi Lemmons discusses her writing process with mentee Christopher Grant at the 2018 Screenwriters Lab.
- In writing there are no mistakes, only interesting experiments.
- Rewriting is a nonlinear process; don’t be afraid to make changes. Your story will remain your story.
- Inspiration can come from anywhere - my stories start with characters
- When getting feedback on your script, listen for the note behind the note to find out if your intentions for the story are coming through.
- Address script problems during the writing process - they will not go away in production or in the edit.
- You only have one opportunity for a first impression - don't send out your script until it's your best version.
- A good mentor will expand your understanding of your work, your ability with craft, and will open doors for you or point you towards the door.
Actress, Director, Writer
Kasi Lemmons is an actress, writer and director who has appeared in such films as Jonathan Demme’s SILENCE OF THE LAMBS, John Woo's HARD TARGET, Rusty Cundieff's FEAR OF A BLACK HAT, and Spike Lee’s SCHOOL DAZE. Lemmons’ first feature as a writer-director, EVE'S BAYOU, became the highest grossing independent film of 1997, receiving the Independent Spirit Award for Best First Feature and seven NAACP Image Award nominations, including Best Picture. more...