Writers from the 2018 Screenwriters Lab share their insights on the screenwriting process, including going from shorts to features.
- A short film is a great way to discover your style.
- Focus on character. The story will evolve from the journeys of your characters.
- Inspiration is the clarity that arrives after a long process, not a light bulb that goes off in your head.
- It’s important to understand how your script is being received to make sure you’re properly communicating your ideas.
- Watch shorts to discover creative collaborators (e.g. DPs, editors, production designers); reach out to the ones who inspire you.
- Listen carefully to feedback, but ultimately your script should evoke the feelings you intend to convey.
Born in Greece, Christos Massalas is a graduate of the London Film School. His short films have received awards from around the world and have screened at international film festivals including Cannes, New Directors/New Films, Locarno, AFI Fest, Guanajuato and BFI, among others. more...