Showrunners and Advisors Lena Waithe and Tom Fontana discuss what it takes to break into writing for episodic television.
- There are a lot of mediocre scripts out there, but the best will rise to the top.
- Be honest in your work. Listen, take risks, and don't hold back.
- Push the envelope, but make sure your work connects to an audience on a human level.
- Put in the work – great writers learn more about the craft with every script they write.
- Listen to feedback, but ultimately your story belongs to you.
Lena Waithe is a multiple-award-winning creator from Chicago who currently resides in Los Angeles. Through her production company, Hillman Grad Productions, as well as partnerships with others, she is dedicated to giving marginalized storytellers the chance to let their voices be heard. more...