TV Writing: Core Elements (Self-paced)
Now Accepting Applications
Sundance Collab offers a robust collection of online courses in the Sundance spirit of amplifying your independent voice as a storyteller. Join our global community to hone your craft, network with other creators, and develop career strategies to help you navigate the film and television industry.
Create an outline for your TV pilot idea in eight weeks with an accomplished TV writer as your guide. In this introductory level self-paced course, you will take this important first step for your original pilot script and learn a set of tools to help you ask the important questions of every scene and character that will get you past "stuck" when writing future episodes.
Along the way you will:
- find your most effective creative writing process.
- develop and hone your characters.
- learn how character drives plot.
- be able to identify three-act structure and have it be the backbone of your pilot.
- identify A/B/C stories and break story in your own pilot.
- create the tableau and tone for your pilot.
- write your beat sheet.
- develop your beat sheet into an outline.
- understand how to receive notes and approach a rewrite.
- identify a longer story arc for your series.
This course is ideal for:
- television writers with an idea for a series or pilot who could use help with structure, world building, character development, and deadlines.
- creatives new to TV writing who want structured direction for crafting their project with a flexible schedule for completing weekly lectures and exercises.
Applications for this course are considered as they are received and applicants are accepted on a rolling basis until the course is full or the deadline has passed, whichever comes first.
Sundance Collab provides accommodations and support services to participants with disabilities. Accommodations and services are designed to meet the needs of each participant. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange for services.
This was an incredible opportunity to craft my pilot and feel optimistic that I will have a fantastic script.
—Hilari S., Burbank, CA, USA