Screenwriting: Core Elements (Self-paced)
Now Accepting Applications
Sundance Collab offers a robust collection of online courses in the Sundance spirit of amplifying your independent voice as a storyteller. Join our global community to hone your craft, network with other creators, and develop career strategies to help you navigate the film and television industry.
Create a treatment for your screenplay idea in nine weeks with an experienced screenwriter as your guide. In this introductory-level self-paced course, you will take this important first step in crafting your screenplay and learn a set of tools that will get you from concept to treatment.
Along the way you will:
- learn the fundamentals of theme and establish yours for your screenplay.
- develop and reveal your protagonist, antagonist, and supporting characters.
- gain a command of the three-act structure and an understanding of when to break away from it.
- establish conflict and obstacles.
- construct the world and tone for your screenplay.
- layer emotion and emotional truth into your treatment.
- break through your own obstacles as you revise your work.
- understand how to take notes and approach a rewrite.
This course is ideal for:
- first-time screenwriters with a great idea for a film and who could use help with structure, world-building, character development, and deadlines.
- novice writers who have a first draft but want to further hone their structure or character development.
Applications for this course are considered as they are received and applicants are accepted on a rolling basis until the course is full or the deadline has passed, whichever comes first.
Sundance Collab provides accommodations and support services to participants with disabilities. Accommodations and services are designed to meet the needs of each participant. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange for services.
This course is a part of the Sundance Collab Screenwriting Track which includes the following courses:
- Screenwriting: Crafting Your Short Film
- Screenwriting: From Outline to First Act
- Screenwriting: Beyond the First Act - Finishing Your First Draft
- Screenwriting: Rewriting Your Feature
- Screenwriting: Crafting Your Comedy Feature
- Screenwriting: Crafting Your Horror Feature
- Screenwriting: Crafting Your Sci-Fi Feature
Trey Ellis's lectures are awesome, and the feedback from the homework is really motivating.
—Santosh D., Kathmandu, Nepal