In part two of this master series, documentary director Marina Zenovich shares her expertise in getting subjects to open up and how to maximize your story.
- Your film is an extension of who you are.
- You have one opportunity to get what you need in an interview. Pay attention to detail and do what it takes to get the best material.
- Listen to the clarity of each response and don't be afraid to ask someone to restate their answers.
- Leave a beat between the question and the answer, which will help when editing.
- During an interview, silence can give you a powerful moment.
- Don't be afraid to look stupid—ask for clarity about what you don't know. This can help elicit even better content from your interviewee.
- During an interview, take a moment to breathe and allow yourself to be human; this will help your interviewee open up.