Master Classes are in-depth, interactive learning experiences focused on craft and career building and led by renowned industry experts. Topics include fiction and documentary filmmaking, TV writing and production, and navigating and succeeding in the entertainment industry.
Every filmmaker needs a Legal Toolkit to help maneuver through the complex field of intellectual rights acquisition and protection. In this three-hour, online, master class, Janis Nelson, General Counsel at the Sundance Institute, moderates a panel discussion for producers, directors and screenwriters, which reveals what you need to know about managing - and protecting - intellectual property from development through distribution.
Topics presented include:
- How the law and filmmaking intersect
- The concept of intellectual property
- Copyright law
- 1st Amendment rights, including life rights
- The international landscape of rights
- Licensing rights
- Sales agents
- The back-end
- Useful resources (online and industry-based)