The application period for the course has ended. Watch the Sundance Co//ab newsletter for updates on future course offerings.
Learn the core elements of directing fiction films—from pre-production to working with actors and more—with an experienced director as your guide. During this eight-week course intended for those new to directing, you’ll learn how to assemble your crew, work with actors, and translate work from script-to-screen by directing and filming a scene. (Note: this final exercise may change based on CDC social distancing guidelines at the time of the course). Sessions include presentations, group discussions, and interactive exercises. The course concludes with a one-on-one mentoring session focused on your project.
Topics covered include:
- The Director’s role in every phase of production
- Analyzing your script and breaking down scenes
- Directing actors
- Casting & rehearsal
- Blocking scenes
- Tools for mapping your shoot
- On-set communication
- Storytelling in post-production
The course will be held live in our virtual classroom. All sessions are recorded for registered participants who are unable to attend live.
- DURATION: Eight weeks, June 11 - August 2 (Extended to August 9)
- SCHEDULE: Thursdays, 10am - 12pm PT
- Extended first class session: Thursday, June 11, 10am - 1pm PT
- No class: Thursday, July 16
- One-on-one mentoring sessions are held between Aug 3 - Aug 9