Applications are now closed. APPLICATION DEADLINE: Tuesday, September 8 at 2pm PT
Learn how to give shape and form to the outline of your comedy screenplay with an experienced screenwriter as your guide. In this live, online course, you move from idea to outline through a review of the foundations of good storytelling, and lessons on character, conflict, dialogue, and the components of the various comedy genres.
In lecture sessions, you will analyze clips from comedy films, complete interactive exercises, and discuss concepts with course advisors. Weekly homework designed to move your concept to a completed outline is reviewed by your advisor. The course concludes with a one-on-one mentoring session with your advisor focused on your project.
By the end of the course, you will:
- Learn an overview of the genre.
- Learn the difference between a beat sheet, an outline and a treatment.
- Review the foundations of screenwriting, including three-act structure.
- Sharpen your main and secondary characters.
- Create mood and manage the tone of your story.
- Identify jokes that serve the story.
- Build your story world.
- Identify your character arcs.
- Set up character conflicts.
- Effectively use dialogue to bring your characters to life and move the plot forward.
- Learn how to process notes from your peers, collaborators and studio execs.
This course is ideal for:
- First-time writers who would like to understand core concepts of comedy screenwriting and how to move their project forward.
- Experienced writers who want a more formal setting and/or the guidance of an expert in comedy writing.
Course enrollment is capped at 50 participants, with an advisor to participant ratio of no more than twelve to one. To apply, you should have an idea for a comedy screenplay.
The course will be held live in our virtual classroom. All sessions are recorded for registered participants who are unable to attend live.
- DURATION: Eight weeks, September 25 - November 15
- SCHEDULE: Friday, 9am - 11am PT
- Extended first class session: Friday September 25, 9am - 12:30pm PT
- Extended last class session: Friday, November 6, 9am - 12:00pm PT
- One-on-one mentoring sessions are held between Nov 9 - Nov 15