Course applications are now being accepted.
Learn how to navigate the business and present yourself as a writer or director in meetings and networking opportunities with experienced instructors as your guides. In this live online course, you will develop and rehearse a pitch for your project and discover what a writer or director needs to know about the business of U.S.-based film and television, including advice on how to break into the business and navigate your career.
In class sessions, you will learn about business elements of the screenwriting and directing fields, complete interactive exercises, and discuss concepts with course advisors. Weekly homework designed to prepare you with the critical tools needed to sustain a career is reviewed by your advisor.
By the end of the course, you will:
- develop and practice a pitch for your project.
- acquire skills to present yourself to agents, managers, executives, potential financiers, and/or collaborators.
- understand the differences between literary rights agreements, directing agreements, collaboration agreements, and life rights agreements.
- learn about unions and representation (attorneys, managers, and agents)
- understand the structure, financing, revenue, and distribution of the business for theatrical, television, and digital outlets.
- identify the roles of a lead producer, line producer, and executive producer, and how to develop a successful partnership.
This course is ideal for:
- writers and directors seeking to build confidence in pitching and presenting themselves and their work by acquiring and applying strategies and practices.
- writers and directors looking for guidance from an experienced instructor on the business of film and television and what they need to understand as a writer and director to succeed.
Course enrollment is approximately 50 participants, with a participant-to-advisor ratio of twelve to one. To apply, you should have a film or series that you would like to work on developing a pitch for during the course.
The course will be held live in our virtual classroom. All sessions are recorded for registered participants who are unable to attend live.
Further course details are forthcoming.
Click the yellow “Apply Now” button on the top right of the page.