Master Classes are in-depth, interactive learning experiences focused on craft and career building and led by renowned industry experts. Topics include fiction and documentary filmmaking, TV writing and production, and navigating and succeeding in the entertainment industry.
Are you a writer or director who is curious about the world of animation? Do you have an animation project in development and want to expand your knowledge? Join award-winning screenwriter and Senior Creative at Pixar Animation Studios Julia Cho as she illuminates the feature animation writing process with examples from her own work.
In this live and interactive three hour Master Class, you will learn about animation structure, character development, theme, and story. You will have the opportunity to ask questions and participate in writing exercises. Whether you are an animation writer or simply interested in learning more about its screenplay structure, this class will give you the tools you need to craft a compelling story and script.
- 00:00-04:03: Welcome and introduction from Sundance Collab
- 04:03-09:25: Introduction from Julia
- 09:25-14:12: Program Overview
- 14:12-24:53: What is Feature Animation?
- 24:53-29:15: Animation Storytelling is Visual Storytelling
- 29:15-44:18: Q&A 1
- 44:18-47:10: Classical Structure overview
- 47:10-1:07:05: The Prologue
- 1:07:05-1:23:44: The first act and the protagonist’s goal
- 1:24:14-1:34:54: Q&A 2
- 1:34:55-1:48:40: Act 2 and pacing
- 1:48:40-2:00: Q&A 3
- 2:00-2:12:55: Making it all cohere
- 2:12:25-2:16:45: The Epilogue
- 2:16:45-2:38:45: Q&A 4
- 2:38:45- 2:42:52: Parting thoughts from Julia and optional writing exercise
- 2:42:52-2:46:02: Wrap up and final announcements from Sundance Collab