To support our community of filmmakers during the early stages of the COVID-19 pandemic, we made the decision to remove the $50 fee for Sundance Collab Master Classes. As we meet this next moment and continue to support artists through our content, we are reinstating a discounted fee of $27 for on-demand recordings.
Both Master Class live event registration and on-demand recording access to this and more than 40 other Master Classes are included in Collaborator and All Access memberships. Upgrade today and get a free 14-day trial.
Master Classes are in-depth, interactive learning experiences focused on craft and career building and led by renowned industry experts. Topics include fiction and documentary filmmaking, TV writing and production, and navigating and succeeding in the entertainment industry.
Ready to jumpstart your TV writing career? Former HBO Executive turned TV writer Kelly Edwards walks us through some of the highlights of her new book, The Executive Chair, A Writer’s Guide to TV Series Development. Edwards will give specific tactics for building a bulletproof portfolio of work, taking a great meeting, and stress-free networking to get you off the sidelines and into the action. In this live and interactive three-hour master class, you will have the opportunity to ask questions about working in a Writers’ Room, interpreting notes, and how to approach different types of meetings. Whether you are new to writing for TV or currently pitching a show, Edwards’ knowledge of the studio and the room will be incredibly insightful.
Topics covered include:
- 00:00 - 05:00: Welcome and introduction from Sundance Collab
- 5:00 - 8:45: Introduction from Kelly and overview of her background
- 8:45 - 14:45: Creating Your Mission Statement
- 14:45 - 17:27: Picking a Lane
- 17:27 - 26:35: Your Portfolio
- 26:35 - 38:12: Q&A
- 38:12 - 44:28: Why the Mission Statement is so important
- 44:28 - 57:15 : Q&A
- 57:07 - 58:53: Playing well in the sandbox
- 58:53 - 1:03:18: The role of the showrunner
- 1:03:18 - 1:08:28: Room etiquette
- 1:08:28 - 1:12:40: Levels
- 1:12:40 - 1:19:12 Taking Notes
- 1:19:12 - 1:23:55 How to decline notes gracefully
- 1:24:55 - 1:33:05: 7 steps to taking a great meeting
- 1:33:05 - 1:35:33: Kelly’s mission statement
- 1:35:33 - 1:46:05: Crafting Your Personal Narrative
- 1:46:05 - 2:01:30: Q&A
- 2:01:30 - 2:11:06: Networking Tips
- 2:11-2:13:43: What Networking Looks like in 2022
- 2:13:43-2:21:42: Following Up
- 2:21:42 - 2:45:25: Q&A
- 2:45:25- 2:47:30 Final Announcements
Past classes have included Academy Award-winning director Roger Ross Williams on Documentary Storytelling, Finding Dory’s Victoria Strouse on Comedy Writing, Emmy-nominated director Lesli Linka Glatter on Blocking a Scene, The Walking Dead’s Glen Mazzara on TV Writing, and more.