Acclaimed director Catherine Hardwicke explains how to craft a compelling fight scene. To illustrate, she breaks down an action scene that appears in her film TWILIGHT, and then explains how she employed every filmmaking element at her disposal – shot size, framing, sound design, camera angles, and more – to create an emotionally resonant action scene.
This video was produced in partnership with StudioBinder - Production management software for creatives and filmmakers.
- Frame scenes unconventionally to engage viewers
- Dutch angles can be used to convey a sense of disorientation
- Use a close up to help put viewer in the emotional state of a character
- Talk through the lens and allow camera action to convey character’s state
- Build the stakes by creating multiple conflicts in one scene
- Build a sequence organically for a natural build up that brings the audience along
- Utilize spatial depth to add layers to your shot
- Incorporate music to add depth to a scene