Documentary Filmmaking: From Prep to Post (On Demand)
On Demand Course
This is an On Demand course. On Demand courses allow you to watch pre-recorded lectures at your own pace, with curated resources and other materials to support your work. You can begin taking this course at any time.
In order to serve more of the Sundance Collab community, we developed this On Demand course from existing live online course content. By doing so, we are able to offer Documentary Filmmaking: From Prep to Post (On Demand) at a price that allows more people to benefit from the course content.
Documentary filmmaking deeply explores and illuminates meaningful topics, individuals and issues with a perspective and storytelling approach that is unique to the work. The impact of documentaries is often far-reaching and is a pathway to stimulating civil discourse around an essential topic and making change. But the process of making a documentary can feel overwhelming. Where should you look for funding? How do you approach making a schedule and budget? When have you shot enough footage? How do you find your story and style through all of the footage? And then, how do you find your audience?
If you’re looking for answers to these questions, join us for this on-demand course in which we will tackle these topics and more with Oscar-nominated filmmaker Bing Liu (Minding the Gap), Oscar-winning producers Diane Becker and Shane Boris (Navalny), and Emmy Award–winning filmmaker, Sarah Moshman (Growing Up Strong: Girls on the Run) as your guides.
- Module 1: Directing Your Documentary with Bing Liu (Minding the Gap)
- Module 2: Producing Your Documentary with Bing Liu (Minding the Gap)
- Module 3: Finishing Your Film with Sarah Moshman (Growing Up Strong: Girls on the Run)
- Bonus Module: Tips on Financing & Grants with Diane Becker and Shane Boris (Navalny)
View the Outline tab for more details on the course.
This course is ideal for:
- First-time documentary filmmakers with an idea for a documentary
- Documentary filmmakers preparing to shoot their film
- Documentary directors who want to learn more about the producing process
- Documentary producers and directors who want to learn more about post-production and distribution
- Filmmakers transitioning from fiction to documentary
All course videos are closed-captioned. For other accommodations and support services, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.