Directing: Visual Storytelling
"Amazing course. Amazing instructor. Amazing advisors. I've recommended the course to everyone."
—Meedo T., Culver City, CA, USA
Sundance Collab offers a robust collection of online courses in the Sundance spirit of amplifying your independent voice as a storyteller. Join our global community to hone your craft, network with other creators, and develop career strategies to help you navigate the film and television industry.
Learn how to tell your story visually and hone your unique creative voice with experienced instructors as your guides. In this live online course, you will develop an in-depth lookbook showcasing your visual style for your film or series.
In class sessions, you will review clips that demonstrate exemplary visual storytelling, learn about the fundamentals, complete interactive exercises, and discuss core concepts with course advisors. Designated homework designed to prepare you with the critical tools to employ an intentional visual approach to your work will be reviewed by your advisor.
By the end of the eight-week course, you will:
- examine your script from a visual perspective.
- make visual decisions and determine the style for your project.
- practice techniques for communicating your vision to different audiences.
- know how to apply tools for research and pre-visualization.
- understand the fundamentals of composition, camera movement, color, lenses, and lighting and how they shape your story.
This course is ideal for:
- directors, writers, producers, and early-stage DPs seeking to learn the language of visual storytelling.
- directors and producers seeking the tools to make visual decisions and/or gain confidence in communicating their vision and presenting their project.
Course enrollment is approximately 50 participants per session, with a participant-to-advisor ratio of 12-to-1. To apply, you should have a film or series for which you would like to develop a lookbook in the course.
Sundance Collab provides accommodations and support services to participants with disabilities. Accommodations and services are designed to meet the needs of each participant. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange for services.
This course is a part of the Sundance Collab Directing Track which includes the following courses: