Course applications are now closed. APPLICATION DEADLINE WAS EXTENDED TO: Monday, March 15 at 2pm PT.
Acceptances start after the deadline, and occur on a rolling basis.
Learn how to give shape and form to the outline of your science-fiction (sci-fi) screenplay with experienced screenwriters as your guides. In this live, eight-week online course, you move from idea to outline through a review of the foundations of screenwriting craft, and lessons on character, conflict, world-building, and the components of the various speculative fiction, futurist storytelling and sci-fi genres.
In class sessions, you will analyze clips from films, complete interactive exercises, and discuss concepts with course advisors. Weekly homework designed to move your concept to a completed outline is reviewed by your advisor. The course concludes with a one-on-one mentoring session with your advisor focused on your project.
By the end of the course, you will:
- gain an overview of the genre (utopian, dystopian, fantasy) and the difference between “film genre” and “story genre.”
- understand the differences between science fact and science fiction.
- learn the difference between a beat sheet, an outline, and a treatment.
- understand the foundations of screenwriting, including three-act and alternative structures.
- sharpen your main and secondary characters.
- create mood and manage the tone of your story.
- build a complex science fiction world with clarity on time and space and imbued with humanity and imagination.
- identify your character arcs and set up character conflicts.
- learn how to process notes from your peers, collaborators, and production executives.
This course is ideal for:
- first-time writers who would like to understand the core concepts of sci-fi screenwriting and how to move their project forward.
- experienced writers who want a more formal setting and/or the guidance of an experienced sci-fi writer.
Course enrollment is approximately 50 participants, with a participant to advisor ratio of twelve to one. To apply, you must have an idea for a sci-fi screenplay.
The course will be held live in our virtual classroom. All sessions are recorded for registered participants who are unable to attend live.
Sundance Co//ab provides accommodations and support services to participants with disabilities. Accommodations and services are designed to meet the needs of each participant. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange for services.
- DURATION: Eight weeks, April 5 - May 30
- SCHEDULE: Mondays, 10am - 12pm PT
- Extended first class session: Monday, April 5, 10am - 12:30pmPT
- Extended last class session: Monday, May 17, 10am - 12:30pmPT
- One-on-one mentoring sessions are held between May 24 - May 30