How to Craft a Suspenseful Horror Screenplay
Live online course
You have an idea for a killer horror screenplay, but now you want an expert in the genre to help you get to the next level of writing. In this four-week online course, you will study the art of the thrill and how to develop memorable characters, build tension and make a horror story your own.
What you bring to the course:
- an interest in horror screenwriting. Creators at any level of experience are welcome to apply. (You do not need to have a screenplay or active project to participate.)
What you’ll get from the course:
- An overview of the horror genre
- How to create a mood and finesse the tone of your story
- How to build your story world
- How to craft a suspenseful sequence
- How to elevate the genre through character
This course will:
- provide tools and techniques to apply to any project.
- connect you with other creators via a discussion board where you can discuss core concepts and share your work.
- highlight successful screenplays in a variety of horror genres, illustrating how they move from script to screen, with opportunities to pose questions to the instructor in an open forum. Interaction with the instructor will take place only in the classroom.
- recommend reading and viewing, but not require outside class work.
Course enrollment is approximately 50 participants per session.
Sundance Collab provides accommodations and support services to participants with disabilities. Accommodations and services are designed to meet the needs of each participant. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange for services.
Sundance Collab offers a robust collection of online courses in the Sundance spirit of amplifying your independent voice as a storyteller. Join our global community to hone your craft, network with other creators, and develop career strategies to help you navigate the film and television industry.