Directing: Workshopping Your Feature (Oct. 2020)
Live Online Learning
Applications are now closed. APPLICATION DEADLINE: Monday, September 28 at 2pm PT.
Expand on your director's toolkit with an experienced director as your guide. In this live, online course, you will shoot a scene from your feature script, after lessons on translating your work from script-to-screen, breaking down your story, directing actors, and visual storytelling.
In lecture sessions, you will focus on analyzing scenes from films and will review exercises with classmates and course advisors. Weekly homework designed to move your prep work on story, visuals and performance forward is reviewed by your advisor. The course concludes with a one-on-one mentoring session with your advisor focused on your project.
By the end of the course, you will:
- understand the foundations of storytelling (objective, obstacles, conflict).
- improve your understanding of the character journey.
- develop a character analysis for your script.
- create a thematic statement for your project.
- hone your project logline and short synopsis.
- breakdown a scene from your script and complete a scene analysis.
- learn what to look for in key collaborators.
- develop language and a process for working with actors.
- craft language and an approach to visual storytelling.
This course is ideal for:
- directors ready to make a feature film who want to dive deep into their creative prep work with the guidance of an experienced filmmaker.
Course enrollment is capped at 36 participants per session, with a participant to advisor ratio of no more than nine to one. To apply, you must have completed Sundance Co//ab’s Directing: Core Elements OR have a feature film screenplay that you plan to direct and have completed at least one fiction short as Director or documentary feature as Director.
The course will be held live in our virtual classroom. All sessions are recorded for registered participants who are unable to attend live.
- DURATION: Nine weeks, October 12 - December 13
- SCHEDULE: Monday, 10am - 12:30pm PT
- Extended first class session: Monday, October 12, 10am - 1:00pm PT
- One-on-one mentoring sessions are held between Dec 7 - Dec 13
Have questions? We would be happy to answer them. Contact us anytime at firstname.lastname@example.org.