August 18, 2019 - August 26, 2026
The entertainment industry adage goes that comedy is the hardest genre to write. This three-hour, live, online master class with a celebrated comedy writer of TV and films revealed the creative process of crafting scripts that engage audiences with humor and pathos. The class focused on how to develop memorable characters, a strong story at the core of your screenplay and how to create successful comedic setups and payoffs.
Topics presented included:
- Determining what genre of comedy works for your voice and story
- Developing memorable characters
- Writing comedic dialogue vs. writing comedic action
- Creating successful setups and payoffs
- Testing your material with audiences
- Finding collaborators
The Master Class took place in our virtual classroom on Monday August 26, 10 AM - 1 PM PT.