Course applications are now closed. APPLICATION DEADLINE WAS: Friday, May 14 at 2pm PT.
Acceptances start after the deadline, and occur on a rolling basis.
Learn how to give shape and form to the outline of your pilot with experienced TV writers as your guides. In this intensive live, online course, you move from your outline to a full draft of your pilot through a review of the foundations of storytelling craft, and lessons on dialogue, conflict, and sharpening your characters.
In class sessions, you will discuss successful pilots, watch how they move from script to screen, and discuss core concepts. You will then move into a small group breakout session with a course advisor where you will workshop your writing and those of your peers, and work to complete your original pilot. The course concludes with a one-on-one mentoring session with your advisor focused on your project.
By the end of the course, you will:
- review the foundations of serialized storytelling, including different structures and A/B/C storylines.
- sharpen your main and secondary characters.
- identify your character arcs and season stories.
- set up character conflicts that will keep your viewers watching.
- effectively use dialogue to bring your characters to life and move the plot forward.
- manage your pace and story engine for your pilot.
- learn how to process notes from your peers, collaborators, and studio execs.
- learn how to rewrite, re-break, and adjust your script.
This course is ideal for:
- television writers ready to write the first draft of their pilot in a fast-paced environment.
- writers who already have the first draft of a pilot, but want the guidance of an experienced mentor to go back and dive deeper into their work.
Participants will be placed in small group workshops of about nine. To apply, you must have a completed beat sheet or outline for your pilot. We recommend that you complete Sundance Co//ab’s TV Writing: Core Elements prior to taking this course.
The course will be held live in our virtual classroom. All sessions are recorded for registered participants who are unable to attend live.If you have any questions about the course, please email email@example.com.
- DURATION: Eight weeks, June 11 - August 8
- SCHEDULE: Fridays, 10am - 12:30pm PT
- Extended last class session: Friday, July 23, 10am - 1:00pm PT
- No class session: Friday, June 18
- One-on-one mentoring sessions are held between Jul 26 - Aug 1
Sundance Co//ab provides accommodations and support services to participants with disabilities. Accommodations and services are designed to meet the needs of each participant. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange for services.
Click the yellow “Apply Now” button on the top right of the page.