Course applications are now being accepted.
Learn how to develop successful producing strategies for all major aspects of getting your independent fiction film made and seen, with accomplished producers as your guides. This course takes a problem-solving approach to creative producing challenges found in your feature-length fiction film currently in development, pre-production, or production.
In this live, online course, you will engage in topical, participatory lecture and discussion sessions each week with the lead instructor. In five of the sessions, you will move from that week’s lecture into a breakout session with a course Advisor (credited producers from the Sundance network) where you will engage in small group problem-solving sessions based on each participant’s individual project needs. The course concludes with a one-on-one mentoring session with your Advisor focused on your project.
By the end of the course, you will:
- practice pitching your project to potential collaborators or financiers with professional feedback.
- apply creative problem-solving to challenging components of your project.
- discern possible financing structures including the traditional waterfall vs. new models of sustainability and how to use them to develop your financing strategy.
- learn how to collaborate with diverse stakeholders and talent.
- begin to create sales, distribution, and film festival strategies for your project.
- understand legal concerns such as structuring agreements, standard deal terms, copyright vs. derivative rights, contracts, and more.
This course is ideal for:
- those who have completed Sundance Co//ab’s Producing: Core Elements course, are actively pursuing a producing career, and are looking to go beyond the fundamentals and deepen their professional producing skills.
- working producers grappling with a difficult project or feeling stuck in a particular project phase and looking for specific support.
Course enrollment is capped at 40 participants per session, with a participant to advisor ratio of no more than ten to one. To apply, you must have completed Sundance Co//ab’s Producing: Core Elements OR have already produced one feature film or several short films. Please come prepared to work on a project that you are currently producing.
The course will be held live in our virtual classroom. All sessions are recorded for registered participants who are unable to attend live.
- DURATION: Eight weeks, October 21 - December 19
- SCHEDULE: Wednesday, 9am - 11am PT
- Extended first class session: Wednesday, October 21, 8am - 11:00am PT
- No class/Holiday: Wednesday, November 25
- One-on-one mentoring sessions are held between Dec 13 - Dec 19
- APPLICATION DEADLINE: Wednesday, September 30 at 2pm PT
Click the yellow “Apply Now” button on the top right of the page.